Sunday, July 6, 2008

Las experiencias de Jenn



Jenn says: The week has been great. It is a lot different from what I envisioned. I remember taking short mission trips to Mexico in junior high and high school where we camped and didn't shower for a week (and if you did, you definitely weren't cool!). This trip has been entirely different. We're basically "housesitting" in a newly remodeled Mexican house that overlooks the Pacific Ocean and the orphanage loaned us an old van to drive. I really can't complain!


Door of Faith, the orphanage we are helping out with, is unlike any orphanage I have ever been at. It is the best you will see in Baja. The orphanage is clean and the buildings are painted in bright, welcoming colors. The kids are happy here and everyone is very loving. It is truly one big family. They celebrate everyone's birthday, throw quinceneras, take family trips to the beach, pool and worship together. It is the best run orphanage I have ever seen. If anyone ever felt called to start an orphanage, an internship here at Door of Faith would be a must! The American workers that we've gotten to know are amazing people.

A chubby baby named "Dulce" has been my main ministry so far. The nursery has never been my ministry of choice, but God led me there. The first day I walked in to the nursery, Dulce just sat there with a blank expression. She didn't cry or smile. I started spending time with her and began to see her come to life! The dorm mom allowed me to take her outside and she became very animated. The dorm mom has toddlers that she is constantly chasing after, so Dulce often sits for long periods of time without a lot of interaction. This will change soon as DOFO is building a nursery for infants only and will be bringing in a lot more babies! But in the meantime, the babies are mixed in with toddlers, keeping the dorm mother very very busy! Jason and I both have been spending time with Dulce and giving her that added stimulation. I have been putting her on her stomach, hoping that she'll start building up the muscles needed to crawl. If anyone has any ideas for me (as I am not a mama!) to help her please let me know.
Video of Jason and Dulce, click the "play" arrow.


As many of you know, I'll be teaching Spanish starting this fall. I have received many opportunities to practice since we've been here! One of short term American teams that just came down did a food/Bible distribution throughout the town of La Mision. I got to co-lead one of the groups and be a spokesperson/translator. We went door to door handing out beans, rice and Bibles and asked if we could pray for the family. We also extended an invitation to the church Templo Cristiano Elim in town. I was a little nervous but the experience ended up being a good one!


Lastly, this trip has been a time of greatly needed spiritual refreshment. I didn't realize how badly I needed it until I got here and have made more time to pause. God has lovingly brought my heart back to focusing on Him and living now for the great Kingdom to come! Before I came, my mom lent me Kay Warren's book Dangerous Surrender. It's about embracing God's will for my life now and future rather than following my will. It has been very thought provoking and meaningful, especially during the time here.







No comments: